Sunday, November 17, 2013

On The Condition of Anonymity:

     The coolness of the cave gave way to burst of sunlight as the first hour of the day drew near.  I rolled over slowly and savored the warmth against my body. I cast the ragged and dirty outerwear aside feeling that the day was going to be hotter than the night that had just passed.  My fingers, numb and stiff and my knees sore, I arose slowly and looked around for the meagher food left to me the day before.  It was tossed in by the one who always came so silently and I could never quite see who it was.  They were afraid of me.
     Covering my face I walked carefully to the bread, sniffed it and tore the green parts off and ate the rest.   Nothing else to eat, I went outside and started my slow journey towards town.  Pacing my self for the day not only because of hunger but because I was sick.   It came on slowly but after awhile I realized that there was nothing I could do to stop progression of what I had.  My skin began to turn grey and my fingers began to warp in a ghastly and crooked manner that shocked even me.  I was used to suffering, but this, was something I could not fathom.  My heart was devoid of any caring and past feeling...desolate and desperate and alone, except for those like me.
     Walking was excruciating. I had no sandals and my feet were just stumps covered in linen rags tied to keep what was left of them from dropping away.  You see I was a Leper.....
      Today I heard that the one who healed was near, but because I was Samaritan I had little hope of seeing him up close.  The Jews would see to that.  I crossed the boundary lines and sat among the olive trees eying Jerusalem in the distance.  Faint sounds came to my ears and my understanding finally caught up with my eyes.  People, lots of them, coming up the hill following one who stood out from the others.
     They were coming my way!  I sensed a freshness, even from here, hope, maybe this was him.
I grabbed my stick, rose and waited on the side of the path and with my face hidden, turned away from any chance contact. I did not want to get stoned.

     People saw me an fear gripped them as they realized what I was.  "Unclean, Unclean", they cried and the crowd parted and ran away, all but the one who led them this far.   He stood in his spot unafraid of me.  I looked right at him. He looked back and said, "what do you want today?"
"Lord, if you are willing, you can make me clean."  "I am willing. Be clean go show yourself to the Priest and offer that which Moses commanded,"
                                                         tell no one"
    I was clean!  My hands and feet whole, my skin soft and tender again. I wept and fell at his feet convulsing uncontrollably with a newfound joy.  He healed me.....A Samaritan and him a Jew.  God had truly had shown me mercy today.  
tissot-touch-me-not.jpg (496×731)
   

No comments:

Post a Comment