Friday, July 20, 2018

How does God get in? Or in other words...reveal himself to an individual?

          This question is one of those that is foremost on my mind at times.  One, because I have accepted Christ as the one God has chosen through which he makes himself known. And two, because I have grown children that do not yet accept that proposition as I do.  And I want them to.
     So I know that from the New Testament words that by "hearing the word" one has to accept it as truth and then act on it in a very personal way.  The American or Westernized Church has made it at times less than palatable to accept this as truth. Because it has methodically in its methods taken away much of the mystery of a very personal searching and made it  into a methodology instead.  It has formed in its very organized way places of worship to come into and "find God" either by traditional means IE, preaching ( of which I do not condemn) or by meeting numerous Christians at once, say in a mega-church and finding some hopefully common ground.  Most times though, common ground is all but uncommon because of the UN-believers state of being at that time.  The ground has to be fertile for acceptance. That is the rub!
     I am a frustrated Christian I must say!  I have spent the better part of 35 years, (mostly wandering from Church to Church) in hopes of finding  the Gospel presented in a way that is not offensive, programmed, pigeon-holed minded, forcing a square peg into a round hole etc. etc. and I am weary.
    So for the last 9 months I have been in the company of like minded Christians, and exploring the nature of individual walks and experiences of each of us and searching out a better way of behaving and in sharing a faith that is very real. Community based and actionable within our own abilities, and of course Gods. 
     I was very young when I began questioning the very nature of who I was, where I belong and like Pilate, to finding out the answer to "what is truth?'  
    For me it was the age of 24 when I was greatly surprised.  
     Believing in Christ is difficult.  I say this because there is not a single way to come to him that is preferred over  another. Except that one has to realize the cost, the totality, of one's surrender, and the extended journey until one's death!  It definitely does not revolve on a single admission and recital of a simplistic prayer many endorse.  It is heavy, it is, responsible, logical, exhaustive in it's requirements and yet filled with abandoned  joy when it does happen. That is the wonder of it.
    So it with a guarded and hopeful waiting and prayerful too, that I watch out for my children in the hope of revelation.  How will this come about? I have no idea.
     There are so many ideologies out there that call to us and each one representing a possible spiritual renewal of some sort that can divert a truth.  And this may divert for years.....until fertile ground is met with a truthful seed!   
    So in my short journey the last nine months I have been pleasantly surprised at the stories and depth of character I have found that waters my soul and keeps me persevering.  I do not disdain the Church at large because it is the working of God and a  counter culture to harmful beliefs. Woe, that the harmful beliefs come disguised as a Church! And do serious harm instead of a Gospel of "Good News."
     I fear that things must change within mainline Christianity or there will be a continued exodus of those who are weary and find no God at all within the walls.  
     I submit that over all, preaching a word that is true to form, UN-adulterated, and filled with the Holy Spirit is the way to proclaim the news of a savior that is just as powerful and revealing as the one the disciples encountered.  It is a recipe that needs no new ingredients.  I have hope that my children will find out. I do not think God needs my help to do this other than being prayerful.  And believing that he is much better at it than I!  After all it only took one genuine person who came and shared at a moment when my ground was torn up and  I was receptive and in need of harvesting.   Peace.  
     "Post script.....'I sense the change coming  and  in light of those "Christians" who blindly follow agendas rather than follow truth  and toss aside critical thinking  in favor of and Anti-Christ natured person..........vile, blasphemous, and liar.   Scary....there must be distinction for true followers.' 
    
  

No comments:

Post a Comment